Schools Week Introduction
RS Fevas practice race on Sunday 25th June,
Regatta Monday 26th June and Tuesday 27th June 2017
420s and Fireflies Wednesday 28th June, Thursday 29th June and Friday 30th June 2017
INSTAGRAM competition announced for 2017 event
- To participate in this competition, entrants must upload a picture from Itchenor's Schools Week Championships to their Instagram account using the hashtag #ItchenorSchoolsWeek
• A Fevas winner will be announced on Tuesday 27th June at the prize giving. A prize will be provided by JDX Consulting.
• A Fireflies/Int 420s winner will be announced on Friday 30th June at prize giving. A prize will be provided by MPI Brokers.
• The prize is non-exchangeable or refundable.
• Entries may be used on Itchenor Sailing Club's social media channels and website. By entering this competition, you are consenting for your picture to be shared on Itchenor's website and social media.
Terms and conditions
The Schools Championships at Itchenor started in 1953 and last year saw the 64th running of the event. It has changed in format many times over the years and we like to continue to do this to keep the event up to date with current trends in school and youth sailing. We aim to achieve a mix of a high standard of sailing at the top end with good opportunities for sailors of all levels to compete further down the fleet, and to do so within a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere.
The Rs Fevas, the first three days of Schools Week, reached maximum capacity of a 100 boats in 2016, from 46 different schools. Whilst the later part of Schools Week, Fireflys totalled 41 boats from 15 schools and the 420s totalled 7 boats from 5 schools.
2017 will have a practice race on Sunday 25th June for the RS Feva followed by 2 days of RS Feva racing on the Monday and Tuesday before the Fireflies and 420’s racing on Wednesday to Friday.
Typically the RS Fevas are raced by year 8 and 9 students (ie age 13/Form 3 and below) with a maximum age limit of year 10/Form 4, and the Fireflies and 420’s by Sixth Formers , years 11 and 10 (ie age 14/Form 4 and over) and some experienced year 9 students.
Last year we introduced racing on separate courses for the 420’s and Fireflies to allow each class to enjoy their racing without interfering with the other and this together with our spectator boat was a great success and will be repeated next year.
For details of the RS Feva part of the event please click here
For details of the Firefly and 420 part of the event please click here