Sunbeam Class Page
Your Sunbeam Class captain is Nick Leach.
If you would like to sail a Sunbeam or contact Nick Leach, please email him by clicking here.
The Solent Sunbeam – a classic keelboat with great performance
Few of today’s one design classes are as long-lived or as successful as the Sunbeam, still racing hard after ninety-five years.
Solent Sunbeams enjoy close competitive racing in Chichester harbour and in the Solent.
The key attributes of a Solent Sunbeam:
• A classic keelboat, the largest of the Alfred Westmacott designs, the Solent Sunbeams at Itchenor range from 95 years of age to new all-GRP and newly epoxied yachts, yet all racing on level terms.
• Highly competitive regular racing in a one-design fleet with no restrictions for tides on most weekends and Thursday evenings from March to October.
• Beautiful lines with great handling across the whole wind spectrum.
• Often just one crew member needed in boats that are suited to both men and women.
• A well-organised crew/helm request system as well as training sessions and a welcoming attitude to new sailors.
• Annual racing at Cowes Classic Week and Cowes Week with passage races.
• Sheltered moorings in beautiful Chichester harbour.
• Great camaraderie and community spirit in the Class and Club with many social events.