Sunbeam Class Page
Your Sunbeam Class captain is Nick Leach.
If you would like to sail a Sunbeam or contact Nick Leach, please email by clicking here.
- A Classic keelboat, the largest of the Alfred Westmacott designs, the Solent Sunbeams at Itchenor range from 90 years of age to new all-GRP and newly epoxied yachts.
- Beautiful lines with great handling across the whole wind spectrum.
- Highly competitive racing within a very friendly relatively small class.
- 25 Sunbeams are based at Itchenor, and we race from March through to the end of October - 3-4 times a week.
- Thursday evening racing May to end of September is a highlight for many with dinner afterwards at the Clubhouse. We also visit Bosham and Hayling Island for evening racing annually.
- There are many and varied social events all year round, e.g. champagne cocktail parties, dinners, beach BBQ's, winter walks, Champagne birthday parties, evening supper on a Thursday, but tea on the lawn after racing is a special love of the Class!
- Only one crew is needed, but two is best for out of harbour races.
- Classic Week and Cowes Week programmes with passage races to ensure safety.
- Points Week at Itchenor in June is popular and a chance to meet up with the other keelboat classes for socials.
- One design racing suited to both men and women.
- Well organised crew / helm request system.
- Regular training mornings for inexperienced crew and helms during the season.
- Associate membership for only £10 per year gives access to regular Class communications and availability of crew.
- MANY trophies to be won for individual races, series and seasons etc: silverware, glassware, pictures, paintings, models etc.
- Annual team racing against the Falmouth Division of Sunbeams.
- To find out more about Sunbeams for sale or for charter, or about crewing opportunities, talk to Nick Leach, the Class Captain.
- Try a Sunbeam - come for a sail - and stay a lifetime...